Come, my friends,I started traveling on what seemed like a whim, still young enough that my designs seemed heroic rather than reckless. Two years of travel, beginning in London and ending in Tokyo, taught me more about the world than twenty years of sedentary life.
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
—Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809-1892)
Another whim drew me back to Japan, to work as a bartender and an English teacher, to learn new ways of being in the world, and to meet those rare and lovely kinds of people only seem to grow alongside the road.
After four years in Japan, I set out once more to follow the Silk Road, traveling by boat, bus, and train from Osaka to Lisbon.
Ten Things About Me
- My homeland is Oregon, which I love for her rain-drenched wilderness and beer.
- I studied Greek and Hellenistic history at Santa Clara University in California.
- I lived in Osaka, Japan, from 2012 to 2016, long enough to learn the lingo.
- I can say "how much," "thank you," and "you're beautiful" in a dozen languages.
- I make very good chili and miso soup.
- My favorite book is still The Hobbit, my favorite films still Star Wars.
- My iPod is full.
- I packed my bag the morning I left home.
- I don't really have a plan.
- I like to make lists.
Countries I’ve Visited (56)
Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cambodia, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania (and Republic of Užupis), Macedonia, Malaysia, Moldova (and Transdniestr), Montenegro, Myanmar, Netherlands, Palestine, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom (England & Scotland), Uzbekistan, Vietnam.
Countries I’ve Lived In (3)
Japan, Thailand, United States